Yarn Wreath Tutorial
Join us in learning how to make this dreamy Yarn Wreath with our easy step-by-step tutorial! This wreath is a festive way to use up excess yarn and dress up your door with some creative flair! No needle? No problem!
What you’ll need:
- Hot glue gun
- Assorted yarn from our Cabin Cozy lookbook.
- Small, medium, and large styrofoam balls
- Metal coat hanger
- Straight knitting needles (optional)
- Start by selecting a styrofoam ball and one of your yarns. Anchor the yarn with some glue and slowly wind it around the ball, the same way you would wind a ball of yarn.
- Anchor the yarn every few rounds with more glue, or as often as you think you need.
- Keep winding until no more styrofoam is visible.
- Cut the tail of yarn and anchor with more glue.
- Repeat with the remaining styrofoam balls, alternating the different yarns.
You should aim to have a variety of shapes, colors and textures for the yarn balls to create visual interest in your wreath!
- Take your metal coat hanger and stretch it out into a circle. Don’t worry about making your circle perfect as you still need to set up the balls of yarn.
- Unwind the coat hanger on the side that doesn’t arc into the hook, and straighten out the kinks on the end as much as you can.
- To place the balls of yarn, slowly pierce the styrofoam with the free end of the coat hanger. Aim for the centre of the ball.
- Pierce and organize the balls of yarn around the wire in random order.
- Reattach the loose end of wire to the the other side (the hook end).
- If your wire got bent out of shape, bend the whole wreath back into a circle after the wire is reattached.
- Optional: Take an old set of knitting needles and pierce them through the yarn on one of the styrofoam balls.
Ta-Da! Now you have a beautiful Yarn Wreath to decorate your entryway. Happy holidays from the Yarnspiration team!