Customize Your Granny Super Scarf
Original pattern shades:
Caron® Simply Soft (6oz /170.1g; 315 yds /288 m)
Contrast A Sticks and Stones 1 ball
Contrast B Charcoal Heather 1 ball
Contrast C Grey Heather 1 ball
Contrast D Off White 2 balls
The world is your oyster when it comes to Granny Square Super Scarves! Crocheted in Caron Simply Soft, the color combinations are endless. In this post, we are going to walk you through the best way to choose your unique combo, as well as some general tips and tricks to make stitching easier!
A few tips to get you started:
– For high contrast granny squares, choose shades that are both very different in hue (ie; orange and blue) as well as very different levels of light and dark (ie: navy and pale pink). This will make the bright hues really pop against the grounding shade.
– Place your yarn balls in the order you will crochet them before you get started to make sure you like the colour placement. Some shades may look nicer than others when they’re beside each other and it’s best to rearrange before you get started!
– Try changing the number of shades for a completely different look. Use the same shade for A and C and B and D for a two-tone stripe version.
1) To create a gradient effect scarf like the one pictured, choose multiple shades of the color from darkest to lightest. Contrast A is the darkest, then gradually lighter shades for B, C and D.
Contrast A Black
Contrast B Dark Country Blue
Contrast C Country Blue
Contrast D Light Country Blue
2) For a Granny Square with color harmony, choose shades that come from the same colour family like pastels, autumnal shades, neons or neutrals. The palette below is inspired by rich jewel tones, but get creative and choose your favourite color family!
Contrast A Chartreuse
Contrast B Fuchsia
Contrast C Plum Perfect
Contrast D Pagoda
3) Try adding an unexpected shade to a more predictable palette to take your Granny Square in a new direction. The soft shades in the example below could have looked very babyish, but framing the square in Taupe adds a sophisticated edge that recalls a spring day.
Contrast A Robin’s Egg
Contrast B Chartreuse
Contrast C Blackberry
Contrast D Taupe